This is Deborah's big news: how amazing!

"Well I have some exciting news (I was trying to post this on the blog but the PC kept freezing so thought I’d settle for emailing you). For those of you who don’t already know, I’m leaving Birkbeck next Wednesday. Last Friday I was offered a job at Glasgow Caledonian University as a Library Assistant (in their Resource Management section). The post starts on 14 April and finishes on late in September 09, in time for me to start my library degree. Because it is a short-term contract, they have requested that I start as soon as possible, and my managers at Birkbeck have kindly agreed to release me without serving my full month’s notice. I have friends that I plan to stay with in Glasgow, and am very much looking forward to this move as I’ve been considering relocating to Scotland for some time now.

I’ve had 2 unconditional offers of places at library school – one at City University and the other at the University of Strathclyde. If I enjoy my time staying in Glasgow over the next 6 months, I’ll opt to take the course at Strathclyde. I’m in the process of applying to the SAAS for funding (one of the conditions being that I’m resident in Scotland before 1st Aug 09) so this job will increase my chances of securing financial support for my studies. However, I’m keeping my options open and can always return to London to do the course at City if I decide to later on. I’ll keep you posted!

For those of you that don’t know me well, sorry to bore you with my future plans. I’ve really enjoyed taking part in the visits and they’ve certainly expanded my horizons and opened my eyes to the range of library and information-based posts available. I would like to wish you all the very best of luck in your future careers, and perhaps some of our paths will cross again in the future."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.